My journey with mental health started with my father who struggled with anxiety and depression. As a mother of three young adults and knowing the struggles so many live with, I wanted to get involved.
A few sobering facts:
- Suicide is still the leading cause of death for youth 10-24 years old in Colorado - nearly double the national average
- There was a 72% increase in mental health visits in 2021 compared to 2019 and a 215% increase in suicide plans/attempts; 50% of these kids were in a mental health crisis
- Over the last decade, Colorado lost 1,000 residential treatment beds for kids
- A 29-42% turnover in the mental health workforce in our state is just one of the reasons why waitlists for our patients are running 6-12 months for outpatient services
- 1 in 5 kids are living with a diagnosable mental health illness but less than 50% will ever receive the appropriate treatment.
The long term effects of isolation caused by the pandemic and the social and emotional toll on our youth - our future - are devastating. Join me to be part of a change!
Our Psyched To Climb team - 40+ riders strong - is the only team in the Courage Classic supporting pediatric mental health. I am asking you to consider a gift of $25, $50, $100, $250, $1,000 to support mental health and my ride. Just click on the green DONATE NOW box at the top of this page.
To all of you who support my ride year after year, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this one of your philanthropic priorities! MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS! Thank you so very much!
With deepest gratitude,